Bold predictions for Guilford County Basketball
1. Southwest Guilford will go undefeated and win the state championship. Southwest returns 6’6 2019 Jayden Turner, 6’4 2019 Christian Martin, 6’4 2019 Joel Pettiford, 6’1 2019 Amillia Huggins and also bring back UNCG commits 6’1 2019 Keyshaun & Kobe Langley. This group will be one of the most talented teams in NC as well a team with a lot of pressure on them to perform. Northwest and Smith have size and college level players also who will look to put a blemish or two on Southwest record.
2. Most Improved Player: This was a tie for me between Silas Mason and Nick McMullen both from Smith. They will have different roles than from previous season and I think their numbers across the board will have a significant increase.
3. Defensive Player of The Year: I believe the Langley twins, Shakeel Moore or even 6’9 Kuluel Mading could all win. I’m going with 6’1 Chris Hampton the reigning defensive player of the year in the Metro 4A Conference. Hampton was 4th in the conference last year in double doubles, first in charges taking and third in steals. Looking to earn a scholarship I expect Hampton to have another dominating effort on the defensive end.”
4. Biggest Freshman Impact: 6’4 260 pounds Travis Shaw from Grimsley High School. Shaw dominated the middle school scene last year not just with his size but with his versatility. Shaw led the team in point’s rebounds and assist, all from the point guard spot and was also the starting quarterback. I look for Shaw to play a versatile role on varsity not to many kids his size in the area with his skill set he currently holds an offer from UNC for football.
5. Player of year Dean Reiber: Already being one of the tallest kids in the area now add in he is putting the ball on the floor getting to the basket and has range out to the 3 point line many are expecting Reiber to have a big year.
6. Most anticipated game: Piedmont Classical vs GDS. Piedmont Classical feels like they have been disrespected and wants everyone to know they will play anyone at any time. Early in the summer they loss both Shakeel Moore and Jalen Joiner who both have made their way back to the team. Mix those two with 6’4 Trent McIntyre and 6’8 Evan Joyner you now have a very intriguing team. Shakeel Moore vs Cam Hayes matchup will be one to watch, I think the x-factors will be Nicholas Evtimov in post and Austin Inge and his leadership.