It was a great day of basketball in Lincolnton and you could certainly feel the energy and intensity in the building… these teams came to compete for a championship. With four games in the books and winners moving a bit closer to the ultimate goal, we had a few notes and takeaways from Day 1, while also what we are looking at on Day 2.
Day 1 Takeaways:
- Moravian Prep showcased their stuff on Day 1 with a 72-50 victory. IN a balanced attack, they looked fresh and focused against Bull City Prep. Josh Hall led the way with 20 points in the win.
- 2022 Po’Boigh King was feeling it, showing his range and shot-making ability, especially from behind the arc. Finishing with 27 points, he hit seven 3-pointers for Word of God.
- Liberty Heights continues to look like an experienced team that can create tough matchups due to their size and multiple options to score. They also really stepped up on the defensive end, especially in the second half.
- Even in a loss, 2020 Taj Anderson continues to prove that he can be a bucket getter and should be a prime target for college coaches.
- 2021 Saiquone Harris has really stepped up his game, showing a great understanding of what he is capable of doing on the floor. Really improving in areas and being a force offensively.
- 2020 Jemal Davis had one of his best games that we saw. Scoring 16 points and grabbing 15 rebounds, he was dominant on the court on Day 1.
- 2022 Jalen Hood-Schifino seems to really be flourishing as a 6’6 point guard. Everything seems just a little easier on the floor after his commitment and is really coming into having a big effect on the court.
What to Watch on Day 2:
- Moravian Prep and Word of God secured two impressive victories on Day 1 and now the two match up on Day 2, with the top two prospects in the 2020 class matching up. Josh Hall vs. Isaiah Todd… Do you need anything else? There is a lot on the line, more than just a championship and we fully expect this one to be a show. Moravian Prep won Game 1 between the two just a few months ago and now they meet again for a chance to compete for a championship on Saturday.
- Two teams with intriguing versatility, Combine and Liberty Heights get ready for a showdown. Liberty Heights brings experience and senior leadership, while the blend of experience and talent continue to shine at the highest level. With two coaches that want to win so much, this is going to be an absolute dog fight.
- Quality Education matches up to start the day vs. Bull City Prep, with both teams looking to bounce back in the win column. QEA’s Taj Anderson can light it up and could be in for another big game, while 2021 Treyvon Byrd continues to impress.
- Moravian Prep Regional matches up with Carolina Basketball and it gives fans another chance to see one of the more underrated seniors in the 2020 class in Omar Gardner. But Moravian Prep Regional has their own guards that can make some noise, especially 2025 Eli Ellis and company.